Kicking Mule Workshop Straight Leg 1950 – Initial Fit

Hi, my name is Alan Javillonar and I write A FinancialStatement

-The Jeans: Kicking Mule Workshop Straight Leg 1950 Jean in Raw Selvedge
-The Details:Kicking Mule Workshop, a denim line based in Boulder, CO, produces acollection that blends classic American style with Japanese craftsmanshipand simplicity. Every single exterior stitch found on the jeans is fullyfunctional, with the exception of the signature Kicking Mule Workshop “kick-stitch”. Belt loops reinforced with cording, back pockets lined with Pimacotton, hidden rivets, and chain-stitched hems make each pair of KMW jeansdurable and dependable. Kicking Mule Workshop uses their own exclusivecustom organic Japanese denim, complete with all white selvedge, made inOkayama Prefecture to fashion their products.

Classic fit with slight tapering from the knee down
13.75 oz., left hand twill (“s” twill), 100% organic Zimbabwean cotton, ropedyed in natural indigo woven on old shuttle looms and made in Japan’sOkayama prefecture

Considered Ready to Wear
Satin Nickel Doughnut Buttons
Hand hammered alloy rivets
10.75” Rise, 11.5” @Thigh, 9” @Knee, 8.5” @Leg
Red chain-stitching along waistband and hem
Selvedge detailing on button fly and coin pocket
Deer skin patch

Available @ MORTAR
The Fit: The classic fit is relaxed in the thigh and slightly tapers from theknee to the leg opening. This time around, I’ve really been looking to avoida slim/skinny pant and am really digging these jeans. The silhouette has avery classic work wear vibe with a very generous leg opening (8.75”) thatis perfect for my Red Wing Irish Setters as well as any boot or sneaker. I’veput in about 8 hours of wear and I must say that these are already starting to break in nicely. The jeans aren’t stiff to begin with so I imagine thesepuppies getting real soft…really quick. Since the denim is made from onewash-unsanforized denim that was soaked post- production, shrinking onthese will be minimal. It’s safe to say I’ll be hemming these very soon toavoid the beefy roll I’ve given them in the pictures. These pictures don’t duethe jeans justice and I must say that I’m very pleased with the denim. The13.75 oz denim is heavy enough for our Houston winters as well as lightenough to endure the humidity that comes with our treacherous summers.Can’t wait to put these through the test!

Tags:

14 Responses to “Kicking Mule Workshop Straight Leg 1950 – Initial Fit”

1. ryan Nov 18, 2010 at 1:33 am #

Great blog, this one and yours, Alan. (Hard to find, since the title is obviously quite ubiquitous).

Those are great looking jeans. I love the stitching. The visible selvedge on the cuff looks wider than that of most jeans I’ve seen here. Am I seeing things?

Always a fan…

-RCD

2. Mike M Nov 18, 2010 at 7:22 am #

Are the Red Wings you’re referring to the pair you’re wearing in the photos? Could you direct me to a link?

Thanks!

3. Paul Nov 18, 2010 at 8:28 am #

Great, great jeans. Also a nice too see a more classic fit jean here. Looking forward to your updates! What happened to that Benz?

4. Caleb Nov 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

I hadn’t really thought about a wider leg before seeing these. Now I’m thinking I might have to look into it on my next pair. Also what shoes are you wearing in the shots? That color is great!

5. wrinkled Nov 18, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

A local boy in the Denim Debate? Sweet. Props on shopping at Mortar, too. Carly, Iris and Sascha are great and it’s about time we got a store like this in Houston.

6. yo Nov 18, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

A little too wide for my taste. but to each their own. looks good.

7. Michael Nov 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm #

These look good. (you might want to look into that driver’s side front tire tho’).

8. Alan Nov 19, 2010 at 3:33 am #

@Ryan-Appreciate the love. You’re definitely not seein’ things the visible selvedge cuff is definitely wider than most of the jeans.

@Mike M.-The shoes I’m wearing in the photos are actually Grenson Sharp Brogue Boots that I’ve had for a minute. I put a bunch of pics up on the blog so you could get a more detailed look: http://afinancialstatement.blogspot.com/2010/10/grenson-sharp-brogue-boots.html

@Paul-The Benz has been outta commission for years. and the upholstery is shot. Still a great car though.

@Caleb-I’m wearing the Grenson Sharp Brogue Boots which are ultra comfortable.

@wrinkled-No doubt brother MORTAR is so legit and Carly, Iris and Sascha are rad people.

@yo-Appreciate the feedback. Much love man.

@Michael-Haha…Thanks for the heads up!

9. Alan Nov 19, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

@Ryan-much appreciated. This is true, the visible selvedge is a tad wider which differentiates these jeans from most out there and the white selvedge is exclusive to KMW.

@MikeM-these are actually Grenson Boots. I did a review on them awhile back. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Here’s the link:

@Paul-my fiancé doesn’t have the heart to part with it. Definitely needs a lil TLC.

@Caleb-go for it brother! It’s a lot more comfortable and these KMW have a slight taper to combat the wide leg.

@wrinkled-Mortar is legit and I strongly urge people to drop on by if they haven’t already.

@yo-much love man.

@Michael-will do sir.

10. unbeknownst Nov 23, 2010 at 6:04 pm #

these would be so much better if they didnt have the exposed selvedge coin pocket.

11. Alex N Nov 30, 2010 at 1:00 pm #

I dunno alan, ive seen that white selvedge coin pocket threading on some selvedge jeans they had at the GAP, surprisingly.

12. Ryan Nov 30, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

I dont know what the big deal is with the whole exposed selvage, I dig it… could care less what others think…

13. Alan Dec 01, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

@unbeknownst-to each his own. Thanks for reading bro

@Alex N-Aesthetically, GAP’s denim is on point…but there’s “more than meets the eye” when putting on these KMW which will be discussed on the next review. Thanks again for reading!

@Ryan-Word.

14. Alan Dec 04, 2010 at 12:30 am #

@Mike M and Caleb-Sorry for the late response here are the two sites for the Grenson boots. I bought mine at Originals.

Originals Clothing: