Baldwin 77′s | 1 Month In

I bought my Baldwin 77s from Rhode Island’s Wharf way back in June, but didn’t get into the 14oz Cone Mills yellow cone too often until the weather cooled down a bit. Since early September they’ve been my go-to pants. I know a few commenters voiced concern about bias in other posts about the 77, so let me just make it clear that I have no affiliation with the brand, but after getting them hemmed up about 4in, the 77 is looking like the best pair of jeans I’ve ever worn.

A little bit of wear has developed around my wallet, and the knees have stretched and lightened a bit, which I think is more resultant of having been caught in two massive rain storms in recent weeks. The one thing about the jeans that I think could be adjusted a bit is the pocket depth and placement. Their a little low for my tastes, but the depth is amplified by the fact that I wear my jeans pretty low to start with. Not really an issue, but worth noting if you worry about you’d be annoyed by your wallet or phone resting mid-thigh. Not much else to report, but these jeans will continue to be my daily denim throughout the cold season (sometimes with my long johns underneath,) so I’ll be sure to post again after a few more months of wear.

12 Responses to “Baldwin 77′s | 1 Month In”

1. aaron Nov 12, 2010 at 8:14 am #

I totally agree with you. I just bought these bad boys and they are definitely the best pair of jeans I have in terms of comfort and style. The only other pair that comes close are my Ksubis.

2. Peter Nov 12, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

Great denim, no doubt, but the dropped yoke is starting to look a little dated. If fit is a big component of premium denim — and it should be — these are off to mark (to my taste). However, if you’re comfortable then wear and enjoy.

3. Kyle Nov 13, 2010 at 6:56 am #

Are you busting a sag, or do the pockets really sit that low on Baldwins?

4. Jon Nov 13, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

Those pockets are seriously low riding. The selvage on the coin pocket is a little “Gap” looking as well.

5. Ben Nov 13, 2010 at 6:15 pm #

These do look pretty smart. How do these compare weight-wise? Agree re: low yoke. Angelo, what became of the Levi’s you were wearing?

6. Angelo Nov 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm #

Both; The pockets are pretty low, and I wear my pants below the hip bone. I wouldn’t call it a “sag” but some might. I ended selling the Levi’s.

7. unbeknownst Nov 15, 2010 at 9:49 pm #

i dont think that you should of hemmed 4 inches off because then you wouldnt have to sag to make them fit you length wise (i think thats the cause of the low hanging back pockets), also i agree with you Jon the exposed selvedge is very nasty.

8. Angelo Nov 17, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

Um, well no. Because I wear my pants low, they were too long, so I got them hemmed to hit mid-ankle with a 1-inch cuff. I didn’t accomodate the hem by sagging.

9. Alex Nov 17, 2010 at 11:20 pm #

Hey, Angelo. What is your height/weight/waist size, if you don’t mind me asking? I am 6’1″, 165 lbs and I would really like to pick up a pair of Baldwins, but the measurements I asked for from Baldwin seemed a little small for a size 30.

For reference, these are the measurements I received.
    Front Rise 9”
    Back Rise 13.5”
    Thigh 9”
    Inseam 34”
    Bottom Opening 14

Baldwins would be my first pair of selvage jeans as I am accustom to wearing 7′s and Levi’s for the most part, but I have somewhat of an athletic build, and the thigh dimension seems problematic to me as my pair of 7′s has a measurement of around 11″ from the seam at the crotch to the outside of the pockets on the upper thigh, if that makes sense, and even then, they tend to feel tight right after I wash them. Seeing as I would not intend to wash a pair of Baldwin’s, I am wondering A.) if this 9″ dimension corresponds to the same dimension I provided for my 7′s and B.) if I may expect the thigh to stretch 1.5″-2″ as the waist is said to.

10. wrinkled Nov 18, 2010 at 5:58 pm #

Alex- you might want to try a pair of the Reed from Baldwin. It’s more of a classic straight fit and would accommodate larger thighs better. It’s made from the same denim, so you’ll get the same wear characteristics as you would with the 77. The Reed doesn’t have the dropped yoke, so you don’t get the back pockets down around your knees, either.

11. Alex Nov 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm #

@wrinkled
    Thank you for the suggestion. I considered the Reed’s, but the photo made the denim appear to be different than the 77′s online, and plus I might be the weird one for taking a liking to the dropped yoke. On top of that, according to Baldwin’s blog, they have recently dropped a new line of Reed’s and 77′s made with Kubaro Japan 14 oz. denim which I have read is excellent for fading. At any rate, I am in the market for my FIRST pair of selvage, and after following denimdebate for a while, I decided that I like Baldwin the best from the results I see.

Having said that, I am up for suggestions for other alternatives for a good first pair of selvage! I am very finicky about jeans as I am somewhat thin (30″ natural waist) with long legs (33″ for a good length without much bunching, 32″ always seems a bit high-water and looks like an unintentional non-break), but I find the thighs of most jeans to be too tight for my liking. I have a pair of relaxed straight leg 7 For All Mankind jeans that I am very fond of, but for the same price or maybe a little more, I figure I could pick up a great pair of selvage and have some extended longevity and nuances of my own personal fading.

12. Angelo Nov 26, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

Alex, sorry for the late reply. I’m 5’11 and 165. My legs are pretty scrawny though, so if you generally have a problem with tight thighs in slim denim, the Reed might be the best option for you (I think there is a review of the Reed somewhere on this site?) But if you’re looking for your first pair of raw denim, you’re in the right place. Continue looking at the site and see if you can find a reviewer who seems to have a similar body type to yourself and check out their notes on fit.